Chocolate chip cookies are delicious and very easy to make. You can buy them pre-made, but there is nothing quite like cookies fresh from the oven. Store-bought dough is quick and easy, but chocolate chip cookies from scratch are the way to go if you want to enjoy delicious cookies every time. Plus, you’ll honestly be able to say you made them from scratch.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth. You can use a stand mixer, hand mixer, or a wooden spoon. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix thoroughly until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and eggs. Stir until well-combined. Do not over-beat or they will become light and fluffy instead of soft and chewy.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Add about 1/2 cup at a time and stir completely in between each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- For best results, refrigerate the dough for 2 hours or overnight. You can use it right away if you don’t have time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoon and form about 1 inch balls. You can use a cookie scoop or your hands. If you choose to roll them with your hands, do so quickly so that you do not transfer the warmth of your hands over.
- Space the balls approximately 2 to 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put them in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes until lightly golden brown. The time may vary depending on how big you make them. The cookies shouldn’t look wet (this means they are not ready), but be careful not to wait too long. They should not be dark golden brown or else they will be hard and crunchy.
- Remove them from the oven and let the cookie sheet cool for 3 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer them to a cooling wrack until cooled. Serve slightly warm so that the chocolate chips are still gooey.
- Enjoy the cookies with ice cold milk. They can be stored in a cookie jar for up to a week, but they will taste best the first day. Keeping the cookies in an air tight container will be best.